Leeds Community Clothes Exchange is a community project encouraging the recycling and exchange of clothes in order to develop community spirit, reduce consumption, divert fabric from landfill and raise awareness of unethical consumer habits. Established in 2008, they run monthly clothing events from their base in Leeds. They are an entirely volunteer team, operating on a not-for-profit basis. Find out more at www.leedscommunityclothesexchange.co.uk
LCCE are hosting a FREE pop-up swap as part of the British Textile Biennial. Whether you’re a LCCE regular, or new to swapping, this is the perfect way to sustainably refresh your wardrobe.
How it works:
- Bring up to 10 items of good quality adult clothing or footwear – think of something you would pay money for in a charity shop.
- Items will be checked for quality to make sure they meet the standards of the swap – please see our swapping guide below. Swappers will be asked to take rejected items away with them.
- Each accepted item = 1 credit to be spent on other items.
- Swappers can take away items up to their credit limit. Any unspent credits at this event will be donated to the LCCE charity bank, offering access to clothing to people in need.
- There will be no changing rooms available at this event.
- All swappers will be asked to wear a mask (unless you are exempt) to help make the event as safe as possible.
- We recommend washing all items before wearing them.
To help us process your items quickly and to make sure your items are accepted please make sure that all items are:
- Clean – if possible please wash your items before bringing them to swap
- No damaged items – check for holes, wear & tear, missing buttons, stains etc.
- No underwear/swimwear/gymwear that touches the body
- No worn out items eg. greying whites.
- No specific branded clothes – eg. tops that say “Leeds Marathon 2015”
- No children’s clothing
- No accessories or jewellery